About me...

My photo
A mother of three beloved blessings. I enjoy fellowshiping with my Father, Savior, and Friend, the Great I AM. I seek His face through reading His word. I love to talk about all kinds of things.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

GRIEVING

My best friend’s grandmother died this past Sunday. The funeral was this past Tuesday. Her mother left Sunday night with little to no sleep…drove to Kosciusko, MS to pick up her sister, rested some, then they together drove to Georgetown, TX. My best friend’s mom is the oldest of 12 or 13 children with 9 still living. She has only 3 childeren herself (My best friend is the middle one). “Mama” and “B” went to Texas about a week or so ago when “Grandma” first got sick and stayed two weeks. We were just getting back into a routine when we got the news of “Grandma” going home to Jesus. There was no way for “B” to go with “Mama” again because of her job and the fact she had just got back plus “Mama” didn’t and frankly still doesn’t know when she will be back. So “Mama’s” three with much worry over her watched her leave to go bury her mother. We all felt the loss (even though I had never met her…”B” and I have been best friends since we were about 10 years old-That was 20 years ago). So Monday evening, after work, “B” comes and picks me up (my van still OOC) we go grocery shopping, go home- cook, and about to settle for the night when her baby brother calls…he is going to Texas!… “B” can’t get off again…their oldest sister is in Nursing School plus has to work and has two kids plus a grandson and another grandchild on the way…she really can’t afford to go…ALL of us want to go and at least be there for “Mama”. So I volunteer! We can’t have “Mann” running off to Texas all by himself…he will probably get lost and if he does he at least shouldn’t be alone…this we all agree! Since (thank, God, Almighty!) I have a very flexible boss, I would go. We left with no map or directions of any kind to a place I had never been and a place he had not been to since he was little, with some money, no map, a change of clothes, no map, hardly any sleep (the night before), and no map, but a GPS on his cell-phone, which would loose service sometime during the 600+ mile drive. I prayed unceasingly to God. Praise God everlastingly! We had left Mississippi at around 10 pm. The trip was to take to 15 hours…we got there in 12. We had good weather with little to no traffic. And God blessed us with a hotel next door to the funeral home. So... we got about 3 hours of sleep before the service. The Lord sustained us ever-presently throughout the whole ordeal. Glory to Him! I, representing “B” and all who had to stay home, sat with the family. We mourned with tears and celebrated with laughter the life of a Grandma I had never had the pleasure of meeting alive…but I take comfort and am looking forward to our meeting in heaven. I felt only slightly awkward when I first sat down for the service with the family. It didn’t take long (as soon as all heard who I was and why I was there) for all to welcome and accept me with open arms as “Mama’s” adopted daughter and thus one of the family. We had a good visit, though the circumstances were unpleasant, God was in our midst. “Mann” and I, after a late night of catching up with some beloved family, got some sleep, the nexted morning checked in and on and with “Mama,” told everyone bye, and headed back home. That’s when we got slightly lost, had some rough traffic, and went through some rain, cause it wouldn’t have been a true “road-trip” with out all of that! But even our troubles and inconveniences that were, God blessed, MILD, we made it there and home safe and sound.

A side story about “Grandma”…

“Grandma” was a faithful believer! “B” witnessed her dying wish of "all her children" (grand, great-grand, great-great-grand and adopted of such included) “doing what’s right” ...when asked about her salvation concerns. This was her preacher’s main message during the ceremony. The day “Grandma” passed a vagrant who frequents “Mann’s” job came in and mentioned he (“Mann”) need to find Jesus. Then later that day before, “Mann” got off the guy comes back with a stone nativity figurine saying, “I found Jesus for you and brought Him to you.” “Mama” and we all honestly believe “Grandma” sent Jesus to “Mann.” I pray directly and earnestly that not only he but they all accept.

No comments: