I got a rare and very privileged, to my job, opportunity today...I work for the JCA (Jackson County Archives) where we have very old records of which I have personally seen as far back as 1800's. We also have the old school records; these are used for genealogical purposes. I am currently trying to straighten them out from our Katrina fiasco...anyhow I came across some registers from the 1950's and in them were 10 essays all entitled "America-Beacon of Hope" from what I can gather these essays were a writing contest of sorts...each one is very personal though some have just the historical facts for the most part in them, some have blatant personal opinion, one is even in short-story, non-fiction form...what they have in common is undeniable a sense of patriotism, and at least an underlining sense of belief (yes religious). I wish you could read them... the opportunity I got today with these essays was to look back some +50 years to the mindset and underlining conscience of that era. It makes me wish we as a country could go back, or at least change what we have now become...back then it was not politically incorrect to voice your opinion in most forms IN THE CLASS ROOM EVEN...it was politically incorrect if you did not.
LET FREEDOM RING! Yes, like freedom of religion, speech, and press…Were these not what is “great” country was founded on? Looking back and according to c1950 that’s exactly the “Beacon of Hope” we were…It’s a shame we aren’t anymore.
NOTE: I've decided to try to quote some of each of these essays for you over the next few days...in the "thought(s) added" below .
Staff Features: A Glimpse of Grace
6 years ago

2 comments:
Essay #1 the original was so light and its paper so fragile that I had to retype it just to preserve it...
"Still more important to the Pilgrims...it was important also the fulfillment of their hope of finding a place to set up a government according to their own standards. This meant that everyone would have equal rights with no high authorities to dictate to the lower classes of people. In this way it was made possible for them also to establish a place of worship to agree with their own religious beliefs. It can easily be sen how America was a beam guiding our immigrants to a new way of life."
And further...
"It is very hard for many of us to realize what a pitiful thing it must be to live in such a land of strict a dictatorship. These poor, innocent persons suffering day after day. Living in constant fear...humble children have to keep their Bibles hidden and slip them out in oder to teach their future generations of the only one all-powerful Ruler of all kingdoms. Also they have to use hidden rasdios...to find out what the world about them is doing and to learn of the progess we are making toward succeeding in breaking down the iron curtain which keeps them locked off from the outside world. ...we should be constantly endeavoring to rid these meek people of their infinite torture. They are looking to us...We are their only hope.
Do we realize or really know the true value of living in such a democratic and Christian nation as ours is today?
In my opinion, this land of freedom and wealth is really something we should all be proud of. Here at our disposal are all the freedoms which make it possible for us to enjoy the good, wholesome things of life. It also gives us the opportunity of expressing ourselves and our ideas openly before others. In this way we are able to watch our government function as well as be apart of it.
Knowing that we are the government by which our nation operates would make us acknowledge the importance of taking part in all governmental and patriotic occasions in which we are allowed to participate."
Lastly...
"There is no thing in which we can be more grateful for than just living in America, the guiding light and beacon of hope that sends its beam across the entire world bringing hope to thousands.
Let's all pray and thank God for such a privilege that He has granted us. Let's also live our lives in such a way that when we see others looking up to America that we can feel it is us to whom they are looking."
See! I told ya...
I know I said I was gonna post excepts from all the essays on here but I think I may not need to do that I feel compelled to find the authors if possible and I don't want someone having excerpts that will throw me off if they aren't the real ones...hence why I haven't posted any more...Pray that I will find someone who knows something about them somewhere.
Post a Comment